Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Destruction, devastation and general mayham

Well, it was bound to happen. . . after a week of seeing the mass produced fiberglass horse sitting in his basement, my Father decided it had some "issues" that needed fixing. I could see all the issues too, but I was having an easier time ignoring them. I just wanted to paint it and be done. After all, it was Saturday, and the colt needed to be finished and delivered back to Lake Geneva by Friday at 3 p.m. But, we hauled it outside. . . and started talking about it. . . pretty soon somebody was brandishing a grinding tool . . . and then a larger grinding tool. . . before we knew it, we discovered that certain areas of this fiberglass critter weren't very thick!

So, we had holes to patch. . . and then there were more holes. . . and a few more. EEK! Holes everywhere, and grinding marks. . . lots of grinding marks! Hahahahahahaha! But we kept going because the overall silhouette looked better with each alteration. The tail looked a bit like some sort of exotic cucumber so one challenge would be to try and make it look a bit more like hair without grinding the whole thing off and starting over.

Can you see the fellow disappearing into the basement there? That's my Dad. . . he didn't want to be seen participating in this. But I can't remember if he was avoiding a photo. . . or if he was going in for a bigger tool. . . or if he was simply escaping from me saying something like "wait a minute! *somebody* is going to have to patch all of these holes, you know?" Another issue our fiberglass friend had was seriously curved rear cannon bones. I never did get a good shot of that before I did my best to camouflage them. They were sort of hook shaped from the hock to the tip of the hooves. Yikes! Another area that could use some improvement was the mane. It had the same sort of texture as the tail but with little short grooves instead of loooong ones. Again, of course, more holes in that thin surface. No wonder he's so light! He weighs about 40 pounds even though he's 55" to the tips of his ears.

The ground off area on the left side of the pic was the location of a good sized lump. . which proved to have something to do with the fact that the neck/head was attached separately instead of being cast all in one piece. See the straight line running through the gray area? Interesting. Also, probably best to avoid that area from here on since I can probably patch all of the small holes without much trouble, but having the head fall off would be *just* a bit more than I could handle so close to the deadline!

Just to prove that I am, indeed, working on this project, my Mother insisted that I pose for this photo. It was the end of a long day and, as you can see, my thumb is not actually on the throttle because I couldn't bear the idea of making any more holes that might need patching! The mask was a MUST! UGH That stuff produced such a thick cloud of stinky dust every time it was ground, filed, or sanded. Take my word for it. . . wear a mask if you ever need to work with fiberglass. . .even if it's going to be "just for a second" it isn't worth risking your health. Ear protection too. . . power tools and ear protection should always go hand in hand. I haven't always felt that way. . . but. . . what? Did you say something? You'll have to speak up! I should have had on some sort of approved eye protection but I honestly couldn't bear the thought of strapping yet another item to my already aching head. Looking at the pic though, I guess I *could* have removed the ever so fashionable head band. DOH! O.k. I should have another installment on here soon. I am juggling some house sitting duties along with taking care of my own house and trying to produce some new work while simultaneously writing about old work. Ahhhh! A procrastinator's work is never done. . . before it absolutely HAS to be! Haha!


P.S. Oops. . . I found another pic that sort of belonged in this section even though it hints at what comes next. This does show some of the re-textured areas on the mane though. Originally, the mane was a continuous, stiff looking mass. . .more like a zebra mane, so yet more holes were created by grinding off the fore top and breaking up all of the straight lines. The tips of the ears have also been worked on here. . .although one of the ears was about 1/2 inch shorter than the other. . .so I'll address that later once the putty comes out!

1 comment:

Alicia Vogel said...

It's the world largest remake!