Friday, June 20, 2008

And now for something completely different. . .well, sort of.

Whew! It's been a bumpy year so far and I haven't had much time for blogging. . .although I *want* to do this regularily because it keeps me thinking and I honestly believe it will encourage me to work more consistently. Something which I am terrible at. Blah!
Anyhow, I am going to prove to you all what a hopeless procrastinator I am by putting up an in-progress diary for a project that was completed almost three weeks ago. Pretty impressive, huh? To be fair to myself, I should probably give some background.
My Father-In-Law was very ill for three months at the end of last year and the beginning of this one. He was in and out of intesive care units at three different hospitals. From day to day we never knew what to expect. Because his condition was very serious, we spent many hours and many days there at the hospital, just *being* there for him and for each other. In the course of conversation my Sister-In-Law mentioned that there was going to be a public art project in Lake Geneva, WI like the ones they've done here in Racine for many years. She has a clothing store downtown there called Strawberry Fields, and she was wondering if I would be interested in painting one of the fiberglass colts that could be displayed in her store. I looked at the information online and thought, "what the heck, it'll be fun." Surprisingly enough, as it turned out, I didn't even have the opportunity to procrastinate on it since the proposals were due the next day! Haha! It was pre-procrastinated for my convenience!

I sent the forms with my proposed design drawn over their supplied outline. . .

and then I promptly forgot about it. Sadly, my Father-In-Law passed away in Mid March about a week before I needed to drive to Lake Geneva to pick up the life-size fiberglass form. We drove down to get it and fortunately it *just* fit in the back of the pick-up. My first thought, upon seeing it in person was. . .oh boy, it's *really* big. My second thought was. . . I don't think I feel like doing this now. *sigh* Indeed, my heart wasn't in it. . .and the big critter sat and stared blankly at my garage walls for the next 2 months. Eventually though, the deadline loomed. (my deadlines never "approach" like they do for normal people. . . for me they "loom" and they "creep up" and "threaten" and, worst of all, "rush" up to meet me and "barrel down on me." *shudder* ) So, I had to put on my big girl panties, get over it, and start working. . . as fast as humanly possible! O.K so I *did* take it to my Parent's house and let it sit for another week. . .but then, by golly, I was ready to roll up my sleeves and DO IT! Hahahahahahahah!

No comments: