Thursday, February 11, 2010

Insert clever post title here. . .

Seriously. . . I don't even know what day it is. Very soon I will be all caught up between where I am with the sculpture NOW and what these photos are showing. It's getting hard to remember what I had done when the photos were taken. :^\
For instance THIS is where I had stretched his neck out a bit EGADS! Is that sunlight shining through the window? AHHHHHH! It BURNS! It bur. . .oh wait, I guess I'm o.k. Carry on then. . . I'm not liking that rear leg as much as I thought I was. Time to start measuring again. . .

Huh. . . add this one to the list of things I'm going to have to resculpt. I *thought* I was making a good move with the rear leg. If only there was an "undo" button in real life. *grumble* My Dad had been here at this point, lending a practiced eye and strong moral support. When I told him that I had pulled it's head up to lengthen the neck, he thought it could use some more of the same primitive Chiropractic treatment. Doesn't he look perky now? It's amazing how the smallest changes in length and angle can make such a big difference! Now to apply the same theory to that rear leg. If only these changes weren't opening HUGE cans of worms all over the place. The more correct one area looks. . .the less correct other things look. Because this is a portrait of a specific horse, I have to work within the parameters of that horse's measurements and characteristics. So, at this point, the whole project is like one of those frustrating little puzzles where you have to use that single empty space to slide the little squares around in the bigger square and put them in order. As a matter of fact, you can see right where one of those little squares has been moved in the last two photos. His ears had to be cut out and lifted up to achieve a particular silhouette. So, now he has a delightful Frankenstein's monster-esque skull cap scar. Thank goodness for soft oil clay! It makes these changes a WHOLE lot easier!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The headset is just gorgeous. Nice work! Starting to get really excited about this one.